Deep Creek Lake is the perfect summer getaway. It's an easy drive from the Washington DC and the Pittsburg area and has lots of family-friendly activities. Warm summer days await you, with comfortable temperatures, and thanks to the mountain climate, no humitidy. The summers at the lake are full of events and fun for the whole family. Lots of great restaurants with outside dining to enjoy warm summer nights. Reconnect with your family, recharge, and make fun memories at Chalet Alpenglow in Deep Creek. You don't have to leave your four-legged family member behind. Chalet Alpenglow is dog-friendly. www.chaletalpenglowdeepcreek.com
When you arrive in the late afternoon...
- While you unpack, watch the kids discover all the fun things Chalet Alpenglow has to offer. Outside, you will be greeted by a magical fairy garden, a play house, and lots of space to roam around.
The unique castle bedroom is a big hit with kids. The princes and princesses will have fun defending the castle with foam swords and shields, escaping through the bed slide and winding down making their own creations with the provided legos.
- Order dinner to pick up at Brendas Pizza. Try their huge cheese Abbondanza (Abba) size with 26". It's the biggest pizza you have ever seen www.brendaspizzeria.com. Order early to make sure the wait time is not too long.
- Eat outside on the deck, enjoy a glass of wine, and admire the amazing sunset which turns the sky many different shades of pink and orange. Don't forget to snap a family picture with the sunset in the background.
- Continue the evening with a game night and explore Chalet Alpenglow's family and game room with many board games, puzzles, X-Box games, pool table, axe throwing, fussball, and dart games.
- When it's time for dessert, head out to the fire pit and roast marshmallows, sing campfire songs, tell stories, or try some of the yard games like cornhole, tetherball, or ring toss.
- For bedtime, choose some books from our kids or adult library and read until your eyes get heavy and you fall into a rejuvenating sleep in our comfy beds.
Start the next Day with... ....a breakfast surprise for the family. While the kids still sleep, take a quick trip to Deep Creek Donuts. It's about a 10 min drive. They make fantastic fresh donuts with a huge variety of toppings and you can create your own. https://deepcreekdonuts.com Then make a quick stop at Traders Coffee and get a couple of their amazing coffees. http://www.traderscoffeehouse.com/ When you come back to the house you will be greeted by a happy family. Enjoy your donuts and fresh coffee on the deck, overlooking our community pond.
Get ready for a day on the water...
There are many different activities you can do at Deep Creek Lake to fill the days. Here are some suggestions:
1. Rent a boat, kayaks, or paddle boards
There are several rental companies. Make sure you make reservations early, boats are rented out way in advance.
High Mountain Sports Rental - single & tandem Kayaks, paddle boards, tube rentals and wakeboards & waterskis.
Deep Creek Marina - ski boats and pontoon boats through lake life boat rental
Lake Life Boat Rentals - ski boat and pontoon boats, they usually reserve one boat for walk ins each day, so get there early.
Bill's Marine Service - ski boats and pantoon boats, kayak, paddle boards, tubes, water ski.
Fun Time Watersports - kayak, pantoon boats, pontoon, jet ski.
Aquatic Center - Kayak, paddle board, sport boat, and pontoon boats.
Deep Creek Lake Boat Rental - ski boats, pontoon boats, fishing boats, pedal boats, water ski, wake board, water tubes.
Wisp Resort - kayak, paddle board, canoe, private pontoon boat tours
High Mountain Sports - kayak, paddle boards, tubes, wake board, water ski, private boat tours.
Silver Tree Marine - pantoon, speedboat, and watersport rental.
2. Go swimming
Deep Creek State Park - the only public access to the lake. It has a beach area, two playgrounds, plenty of grass space, roped of swimming area, kayak rental, and shaded picnic tables.
Herrington Manor State Park - Herrington lake has a beach and fishing area with rest rooms, showers, and a snack bar. Great for renting kayaks or paddle boards. No motorized boats arer allowed, so it's perfect also for little kids.
Broadford Recreational Park - Broadford lake has a beach area, picnic area, volleyball, and pavilions, as well as boat, canoe, kayak, and paddle board rental, calmer area not very crowded.
New Germany State Park - has water holes you can swim in.
In case it rains or is too cold:
Community Aquatic Recreation Center (CARC) - Chalet Alpenglow comes with a complimentary membership for our guests to CARC, which is 1 mile away from the house and offers a fully equipped gym facility, two indoor pools, and a gymnasium for basketball.
3. Have a fun day out of the water at...
Deep Creek Funzone - offers go-karts, mini-golf, laser tag, bumper cars & an arcade, climbing wall plus an American bar & grill.
Monkey Business Adventure Park - ropes course with zipline.
Mountain Coaster - take a thrilling ride at Wisp Resort in an alpine slide rollercoaster down the mountain.
White Water Rafting - at Adventure Sports Center International.
Funland - lots of fun arcade games.
Alpaca Acres Farm and Fiber - meet and greet the alpacas, attend one of the family-friendly events, reserve a campfire, and spend some time together enjoying the outdoor farm activities.
Discovery Center at Deep Creek Lake State Park - an educational venue with hands-on exhibits that focus on the natural resources of Western Maryland Deep. During the summer, they have daily events that include seeing the birds in the aviary, arts & crafts, guided hikes, fishing with a naturalist and more.
Deep Creek Lavender Farm - try everything lavender and enjoy the gorgeous field.
Laurel Caverns - the largest cave in Pennsylvania, about 50 min away from Chalet Alpenglow.
Hovatter's Wildlife Zoo - in Kingwood, WV is a great Zoo for the kids. A little bit of a drive but worth the trip.
Bear Creek Traders, School House Earth, A Mountain Fix, and The Tourist Trap & Christmas Store for souvenir shopping.
3. Go for a hike
CANYON TRAIL - Swallow Falls State Park - 1.5 miles - easy Following the flow of the Youghiogheny River, this popular trail provides lots of photo ops! It takes you along Muddy Creek Falls, highest in Maryland, Swallow Tails and scenic Swallow Falls. A slight detour will lead you to Tolliver Falls too. You can swim at the bottom of Upper Swallow Falls. It's a busy trail so go early in the morning or later in the evening. Dogs are only allowed in the off season. There is also a 5.5 miles one way hiking trail that connects Swallow Falls and Herrington Manor State Park through the Garrett State Forest. Fat tire bike rentals are available to rent Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day at the Herrington Manor State Park lake house.
SNAKEROOT TRAIL - Deep Creek State Park - 0.25 mile - easy - great for kids Use the Meadow Mountain Trail to access this easy, short loop. Pick up a self-guided brochure in the headquarters office before embarking on this interpretive nature trail. Use the panels to learn about the flora and fauna of Western Maryland.
CRANESVILLE SWAMP - 1.2 mile loop - easy You can see a unique pine forest, the swamp, and a hardwood forest all while walking over roots and bog, pine needles and plank covered mud. It's a great hike for families. There are five trails at Cranesville Swamp, including a 1,500-foot boardwalk.
ROCK MAZE TRAIL - Garret State Forest - 0.8 mile out and back trail - easy It is a pleasant walk through old growth timber back to a maze of large boulders and features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. Dogs are allowed. This hidden gem is a maze of towering boulders and it's an unexpected find among the surrounding woods.
Before you head back to Chalet Alpenglow...
...you must stop at Lakeside Creamery and try their delicious homemade ice cream. This stop is a must! https://lakesidecreamery.com
Then enjoy Dinner...
- relaxed at home at Chalet Alpenglow. Cook a family meal in the big kitchen which provides everything you need.
If you rather go out for dinner, try
- Moonshadow - they have an amazing menu, always fresh, healthy, and unique food. Nice inside and outside area to sit. They have live music and a fun bar, located just 1 mile from the house. https://moonshadow145.com/
- Mountain State Brewing - a great local microbrewery with live music and a tap room. They serve delicious artisan flatbreads freshly baked in their wood burining oven. Share flatbreads on the patio and catch the second best sunsets in the area. The first best is from Chalet Alpenglow's deck, overlooking Wisp Mountain and surrounding meadows :)
After Dinner Play & Relax at Chalet Alpenglow... - Enjoy some catch and release fishing at the community pond, a short walk away from the chalet. Fishing poles are provided.
- Stargaze while you unwind in the outdoor hot tub.
- Watch a family movie on the big movie screen with surround sound system with free cable TV and streaming on demand.
- Gather around the firepit for some family time.
- Enjoy a match of tetherball, volleyball, cornhole, badminton, or croquet in the backyard.
- Hang out at the full bar in the family room while you enjoy a game of dart, pool, or foosball.
- Explore the big selection of board games and puzzles for some bonding time.
- Our book shelves are filled with our favorite books for you to enjoy.
Then fall in the comfy beds and have sweet dreams
The next Morning, before you head home........ ...visit Spruce Forest Artisan Village - an arts and heritage center in Garrett County that is dedicated to preserving the heritage of the region. Resident and visiting artisans demonstrate their crafts in restored log cabins and vintage frame structures. Artisan crafts include blacksmithing, weaving, wheel-thrown pottery, bird sculpting, woodturning, and jewelry-smithing - history, strolling outdoors, and shopping all rolled into one. Visit Penn Alps Restaurant for a meal or Cornucopia Cafe for a coffee with their homemade salted caramel creamer. www.spruceforest.org www.pennalps.com http://www.thecornucopiacafe.com/